Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 04:07:28 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@pldrouin.net>
Subject:   Re: kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled, 5.3-stable

--nextPart2238850.n23g0QFRSR

Am Mittwoch, 9. M=E4rz 2005 03:04 schrieb Pierre-Luc Drouin:
> I have updated a system from FreeBSD 4.10 to 5.3 (I did a fresh new
> installation from scatch). At the same time we put a new CPUs in there.
[...]
> What could be the cause?

The non-technical answer: FreeBSD 5.4 is in the release cycle with an upcom=
ing=20
5.4 iso image.
There were enormous efforts in improving FreeBSD 5.x, so if you already bro=
ke=20
your system take the chance and get the new 5.4 system which probably fixes=
=20
your problem.
Next thing is that you won't see any benefit when enabling hyperthreading.=
=20
It's strongly depending on the system's kind of load but almost everytime=20
you'll see performance degradation.

> The system was very stable with FreeBSD 4.10 and only 2 CPUs (1 real and
> 1 virtual). When I've seen page faults in the past, it was caused by the
> RAM or the motherboard. Is it almost always the case? Does the fact to

Maybe, but first you have to provide more information and make sure it=20
frequently crashes at different points.

Keep patience till anyone of the experts answers, in the meantime you can h=
ave=20
a look at=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kernel=
debug.html