Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:23:13 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        S Roberts <sroberts84@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade Problem?

In message <F2731qdiixjnzi95Hfq00004481@hotmail.com>, S Roberts
<sroberts84@hotmail.com> writes
>I'll certainly try your suggestion later on this evening. But could I verify
>your advisory (thr order thereof, that is):
>
>1] Run 'pkg_deinstall -f pkg_tarup'.
>2] Go to /usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_tarup and install it from there.
>3] Run 'pkgdb -F ' to sort out the ruby conflict

Yep.  Steps 1 and 2 will correct the location for pkg_tarup and step 3
makes sure your install ports all make sense.

If you do step 3 first then it'll query what you want to do with
pkg_tarup.  It is possible to correct pkg_tarup at this stage it's just
that I feel better reinstalling it.

>One thing though (bear with me please) from what you said:
>" 'pkgdb -F' - it should show any concerns and advise you on methods to
>resolve them, but sort out portupgrade like below first.  Once this is run
>you should only have one copy of Ruby installed and no dependency worries".
>
>Do I take it that you meant that after:
>=> Run de-install / install (new directory) for pkg_tarup
>
>=> Run 'portupgrade -R portupgrade' to upgrade portupgrade
>
>*Then*
>=> Attempt pkgdb -F to resolve the issue of conflicting ruby entries
>
>Please let me know if the above looks okay to you.

That's what I was getting at, just translated into better English :-)

>Sorry if I come across
>pedantic over this, but I want to be sure about what I'm doing here.

'Sokay, I probably should have woken up a little more before I wrote my
mail.  Not that I'm capable of making no sense or anything :-)

Kevin

--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk