Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 00:12:13 -0400
From:      "rfrizza" <rfrizza@nb.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A newbie and the unbelievable install

Sorry this is long.

Order of install events:

Bought The Complete FreeBSD book and the 4 CDset of FreeBSD 3.2.
Read all sections pertaining to installation, problems and disks in the book
and on the CD.
Brought my 486 home from my friends. (I let him borrow it)
Booted to Win95.
Went to start-settings-control panel-device manager and printed out a list
of all devices in the computer including ports, addresses, Irq's, DMA's,
etc.
Took a second precaution and wrote down the assignments for the CD-ROM-sound
card-modem-video card.
Shut down Windows 95.
Pulled the hard drive and installed a Western Digital 3.1 gig that I
fdisk-ed months ago.
Ran setup to find the new harddrive.
Ran fdisk to make sure there was nothing on the drive.
Prepared my install floppies. (fdimage kern.flp a: and fdimage mfsroot.flp
a:)
Looked at the hardware list from the book.
Had a question about my Media Vision sound card.
Did a search at FreeBSD.org and found that it could be installed.
Took the sound card back to default settings using DOS.
Sat down with the computer, the book, and the install information I found on
the web.
Started my first install.
At the end of when the install is probing devices I got a "Fatal Trap 12
Panic: Page Fault Error"
Read the book again looking for this problem in particular.
Changed the setting for the CD ROMs numerous times and in numerous ways.
Same error occurred each and every time.
Looked on the FreeBSD website about this problem.
Took the motherboard back to default BIOS settings.
Same error occurred again.
Posted a question at freebsd-questions
Received one answer that thought it might be memory.
Tried both 16 meg chips individually even though the install read the memory
right.
Same error occurred both times.
Started to take cards out of the computer until it was at barebones. (No
CD-ROM, modem, sound card)
Same error occurred each and every time.
Slowed the board down to normal. (486DX4 100 was at turbo speed)
Same error occurred again.
Search FreeBSD and found FAQ260 that I thought might help.
Requested and obtained the kernel in PC text format.
That didn't help and I have exhausted all options I can think of.

What am I doing wrong???
What should I do now???

Bob