Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:28:02 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Interest in diskless booting?

At 12:48 PM +1030 12/8/02, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>I was at a local installfext yesterday
>(http://installfest.auug.org.au/), and a number of people were
>interested in doing diskless booting, either for reasons of economy
>or reliability.  I'm currently about to finish the manuscript of the
>fourth edition of "The Complete FreeBSD", and I was wondering if there
>was enough interest in this topic for me to include it in the book.
>If *you* are interested, please let me know.  I'll make a decision
>depending on the amount of feedback I get.

There's at least two cases, right?  diskless booting off something
like a custom CD-ROM, and diskless booting over the network?

One of the students here at RPI worked on a project for the custom
cd-rom idea.  It's at

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/freebsdtogo/

He's used this to make CD's which boot up a laptop, and run without
touching anything on the hard disk.  I know he has it working for
the 4.x-branch, and I believe he also updated it for the 5.0-current
branch.  This is very useful for having students use there laptops
to take tests, while having the instructor have complete control
over "what they are running".  (and not having to worry about
the state of things on the student's hard disk)