Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:29:52 -0600
From:      Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
To:        Jeff Yeo <j.yeo@attcanada.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How-to for simple DNS?

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 05:52:11PM -0800, Jeff Yeo wrote:
--> I am setting up a firewall (using natd and ipfw) between
--> an internal LAN and my ISP.  I discovered that the internal
--> PCs cannot use the ISP DNS servers through natd (I suppose
--> this is a given for those of you who are more experienced).

--> If I do have to set up DNS on the firewall, I just want the DNS
--> on the firewall to forward any local requests to the ISP DNS
--> and return the results.  I've got limited resources on this box
--> (disk and RAM) and don't want to load it up too too much.  I
--> don't really need to do maintain any DNS entries for hosts
--> on the local network, and don't want to "publish" any entries
--> externally either.  Guess I'm looking for more of a DNS proxy
--> than a server.

What does limited ram and disk mean? I am using a DNS on a 486/66
ppp gateway with 8 megs of ram and 170 megs of disk. This machine
also runs dhcp and ppp -alias -auto with sshd. Inetd is disabled.
What you want is known as a caching only server. You just put
forwarders and forword only lines(bind 4.9) in named.boot. Then
point your win95 machines at this machine for DNS. I would strongly
suggest that you use the ISC dhcpd server to assign IP addresses and
propagate TCP/IP information to the Win95 machines.

--
When I was a kid I had to rub sticks together to multiply and divide numbers.
A calculator was a job description.