Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 18:52:30 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de (Michael Beckmann)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INN history file and disk I/O

Michael Beckmann wrote in message ID
<v02140b01ae62039c6700@[195.52.251.6]>:
> Hello ISPs,
>
> I have run into a problem with one of my newsservers recently. It is a
> P120, 64 MB, Adaptec 2940, 3 SCSI drives running FreeBSD 980801-SNAP. INN
> version 1.4unoff4. It receives and sends several full feeds, but is hardly
> used by readers.

> In general, the performance of this system is good; I see about 5 - 10 %
> cpu load and almost no swap usage. I get immediate response from the
> system, except when I try to telnet to the nntp port. nntp readers simply
> time out; it takes forever until the INN prompt appears, if it appears at
> all. This situation changes when I throttle the INN. Then I get the INN
> prompt immediately.

> Using systat -vm, I have found out that it has 80 - 100 disk seeks per
> second on the disk that carries the history file (which is about 90 MB
> large). When I move the history file, it is the other disk that gets hit,
> so it definitely is the history file that causes this I/O. Could this be
> the reason for my problem ?

You could probably use more memory, since innd will try to keep the
history file in memory. Also, if the machine(s) are receiving full
feeds, there will be quite a lot of data being written to the history
file. It could be thrashing however (since 90Mb > 64Mb)

I only see (on average) < 20 seeks/sec on my history partition, except
when update(8) does its job.

> Sometimes I see messages like this in the log:
> Sep 15 21:07:00 news innd: ME cant sendto CCreader bytes 4 No such file or
> directory
> I don't know if this is relevant here.

Dunno about this.

Gary