Date:      Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:23:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        hps@freebsd.org
Cc:        usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance issues

Hans,

Just trying to do some stuff I used to be able to do with the USB
stack on a recent (July 23rd) kernel.  I've had some disappointing
results.

I have a 750GB disk that's attached via USB.  Nothing fancy or special
about it.  I can stream up to about 18MB/s to it when things are going
well.  Older code works flawlessly with this device.  I have one other
device attached, a bluetooth dongle that's really just buit into my
laptop.  There's no bluetooth devices attached to the laptop via this
dongle, but plenty of bluetooth in the general area...  The bt stack
is enabled.

What I see is that from time to time the writes to the disk stop for
seconds at a time.  This can happen when I'm writing from DV streams
(which are 25Mb/s or 4.1MB/s) as well as a dd from either /dev/zero or
from a dvd I have in my laptop's DVD reader.  The /dev/zero ones go at
about 16-18MB/s, while the DVD reader is about 5MB/s.  When it
happens, the process hangs in wdrain.

This makes it impossible to use umass devices for things like reading
my DV camera to stream things to disk for later processing into DVDs.
It also seems to make it impossible to burn DVDs, since this same
hic-up is seen in read speed as well.

If I remove the bluetooth dongle from the system, then I don't seem to
see this problem.

Any ideas how to track this down?

Warner