Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:36:41 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Resolv.conf question

I posted this to -questions, but didn't really
get any answer that seemed to fit, so I thought
I would ask here.

On a 3.3-RELEASE box, not realizing at first that
I didn't need an entry for the local nameserver, I
had it's IP in as the first line in resolv.conf, followed
by two more nameservers on the next two lines.

Something in the daily scripts seemed to eliminate the
first line, containing the local nameserver. I say this
because the file date was 1:59am, the time that periodic/daily
runs. I put it back every day, and the next day, it was gone again.

I hunted quite a while in the scripts, but couldn't
figure out what was doing this?

Just for the sake of my curiosity, what was modifiying
resolv.conf? Is this a security feature?

Thanks,
--
Jim Durham