Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:05:40 -0400
From:      "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@osfn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Modem not responding at install

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 09:53:55AM -0400, Bill A. K. wrote:
> do you really need to use PAP?
> can't you just use login style authentication (e.g. just type in your user
> name and password at the prompts and when the other side starts sending PPP,
> just press SHIFT + ~ and then press P)?
> let me know what happens.

Two things...

First	the screen (in ppp terminal mode) seems one character behind
	the responses from the process (local or remote) don't show up
	untill after I type the next character (which itself doesn't
	show up untill after the second character etc)

	This is bothersome since the prompts don't show-up untill
	after I start typing the response...it's a very simple
	standard login so this is surmountable.

Second	the connection won't stay up. I get assigned my IP address
	packets start coming and going.  I switch back to tty1 hit OK
	and I sais it can't resolve ftp.freebsd.org.  I switch back to
	tty3 and the connection is down.  I've tried specifying both
	my primary and secondary DNS servers as "Domain Name Server"
	for "Gateway" I've tried both blank and 127.0.0.1 (this is a
	home computer with dynamic IP dial-up)
--
Email: jon@osfn.org			Resume:
       jdp@efn.org			http://users.ids.net/~tuan/resume