Date:               Tue, 4 Apr 1995 18:03:06 +0000
From:      "Sean McGee" <smmcgee@jasper.ncbc.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: SATAN ported??

> To:            smmcgee@ncbc.edu
> Cc:            questions@freebsd.org
> Subject:       Re: SATAN ported??
> Date:          Tue, 04 Apr 1995 23:36:30 +0100
> From:          Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>

> In message <199504041555.PAA28079@localhost>, Sean McGee writes:
> >So, who's going to port SATAN so that we have some kind of defense?
>
> I'm sorry? SATAN isn't a defense system, it's an attack system. All you

Not in my optimistic point of view! It was designed to "find" your security holes
so that you can "plug" them.  After all, the acronym stands for Security
Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks, not Some Assinine Tool for
Attacking Networks.  If some wannabe hacker happens to rewrite the code
 - then yes, it can be used to attack, but then what about guns when you
apply them to the same reasoning ??

> need is perl v5 and a WWW browser, and you've got the equipment to
> run SATAN (a 64Mb P5-90 with 128Mb's swap helps also - it's a memory
> pig apparently)

BTW, thanks for the info.

-sean