Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:52:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mike@smith.net.au, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> Redirected to -advocacy, where this sort of invective is probably more
> appropriate.
>
> > I am the wrong person for this task because I don't have time.
>
> Well a fat lot of use you are then.  8)
>
> Seriously, what value is there in saying "someone should do something
> about this"?  Of bloody course someone should, and the only someone to
> do anything has done everything I can, and the last thing I need is
> someone that's unwilling to do *anything* telling me that something
> more needs to be done.
>
> You still need to learn that being an advocate means *doing* something,
> not whining about what you think "someone else" should be doing.

With respect, I spent several hours today going over the public
UDI information.  Here are some salient points:

1)	It is a source portability standard, *not* a binary portability
	standard.

	This means that you can not expect it to mean squat to the
	source-available systems.

2)	The header files for pretty much everything are downloadable
	from the SCO site, as are the man pages.

	This means it would be trivial to commit them.

3)	There are no reference implementations of drivers that are
	source-available to test a FreeBSD implementation.

	This means that you won't know that you've done anything.

4)	There is support for dynamic attachment, but not for
	dynamic loading of driver modules.

	This means that, whatever happens, it will be pretty stupid,
	since you will need to expend kernel space on drivers that
	aren't used in order to get drivers at all.

> > Perhaps, someone from the commercial sector can step in :
> > Oracle, Yahoo, Whistle or Juniper.

This is a good suggestion.  Given #1/#3, it's a good bet that you
will need someone legally accountable to sign for source license
to a "select group" from a legal perspective.

> > All of the above companies have architect class engineers and it is really
> > to their advantage to contribute something in this area.
>
> Oracle are no longer interested in FreeBSD (see John Dyson'ss
> swansong),

BS.  This is defeatist propoganda at its worst...

> Whistle are at the other end of the market (embedded systems)

I'm at Whistle, and I think it's a good idea, but it will have some
overhead relative to FreeBSD that FreeBSD may not be prepared to
shoulder (FreeBSD is prepared to shoulder so little overhead...).

> and UDI would be an unnecessary expense,

I believe that both Archie Cobb and Julian Elisher would support
UDI at Whistle; I know that I would and that Bryan Mann would, which
means that you would have a hard time *not* supporting it there.
Whistle is an enlightened company; they know the difference between
"tactical" and "strategic", and, unlike most companies, have devoutly
embraced the "Open Source" thema for tactical developement.

> Juniper aren't likely to care (UDI doesn't address any of their
> problems).

The current UDI specification (.80) addresses both SCSI drivers and
network cards.  Thus it addresses issues which Juniper find to be
both strategic and tactical (i.e., they will want the code, and they
will be willing to contribute code back; Juniper, like Whistle, is
aware of the issues involved in enlightened self interest).

> Yahoo would only be interested if there was something UDI had to
> offer them (and right now that's nothing).

Vendor supported SCSI drivers.

> UDI will come to FreeBSD when either a) it ceases to be vapourware and/
> or b) it has something to offer someone such that it becomes worthwhile
> to invest in it.

Certainly, it's vaporware at the present (for the most part), and
certainly, Open Source is more likely to provide code to UDI than
UDI is to result in vendors supplying code to Open Source.  But in
the long run, an enlightened self interest is a powerful thing.
Look at the recent relicensing of X11R6 by the Open Group under
the original X Consortium terms, for a counter-example to your
claims.

> My goal was to convince Intel that a deliverable for the BSD
> environment would be more widely useful as a reference implementation
> than one for the Linux environment.

That is certainly true.

> I was unable to make any headway despite researching the matter
> intensely some time back; someone with no coding skills but some
> technical marketting acumen and more free time to spend on might-be's
> would have a better chance of coming up with the goods.

You should probably point out that the BSD community, if included,
will be a ready source of commercially usable UDI code, since we
will not live without drivers for our own hardware.  The Linux
community, to the contrary, will produce GPL'ed drivers that will
not be commercially usable.

Consider the case (since UDI embraces CAM) of CAM-based controller
drivers with no development effort by commercial vendors, since the
FreeBSD counterparts will be generally available, and usable under
the UCB style licensing.

Personally, I'd like to see some ELF binary UDI impelementation, such
that the code from card vendors would run under FreeBSD without the
need for a non-disclosure license and recompilation.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.