Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:00:02 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress 16 code?

At 12:28 PM 1/10/2001, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

>Really?  I've got a couple of those cards, which use National Semi. parts,
>and never was able to get the documentation for them.
>
>I've not seen any mention of a partially working driver in the tree...

The FreeBSD Handbook, at

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html

says:

>* Intel EtherExpress ISA (not recommended due to driver instability)

These cards use a National Semiconductor chip that was used in a few
Cisco routers as well. It has a very clean interface, and I'd begun
to adapt the ed driver to it. (One thing that's nice about it is that
you can use REP INSW and REP OUTSW instructions on x86 to transfer
data with no wait states, giving you the maximum transfer rate that's
possible on an ISA bus.) The spec sheet isn't generally available
because National Semiconductor isn't promoting the part, but Intel
and Olicom still sell a lot of these boards.

--Brett