Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:11:35 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, reader@newsguy.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:34:14AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:35:49 -0700
>>> In any case, a hardware MAC address that has the group address bit
>>> set is clearly broken.
>>
>> Unless it is a deliberate multicast.  In this case, not likely.  But
>> not intrinsically broken.
>
> I will stand by my statement that a HARDWARE MAC with the group
> address bit set is broken.

Ok, come on.  Why would 802.3 even =define= a bit for individual/group
if to set it is broken?

> It violates the spec and delivering a device with a multicast source
> address is broken even if the spec was not violated.

There is no such thing as a multicast =source= address.  Section
3.2.3(b) of the 2000 edition of IEEE 802.3 says "...In the Source
Address field, the first bit is reserved and set to 0."

Further, 3.2.3.1(b) says "Group Address.  A multidestination address
associated with one or more stations on a given network."  Which makes
it even more clear that multicasting is only for use as a destination
address.

If the above statement that you're standing by were phrased "a
HARDWARE MAC =SOURCE= address with the group address bit set is
broken", then we're in agreement.

> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com