Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:28:04 -0500
From:      "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
To:        Peter Gubanov <peter@elecard.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and WinNT RAS

Peter Gubanov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to dialup with ppp to WinNT box with RAS? I've tried
> several configs, but RAS rejects AUTHPROTO (??? - maybe smth. else).
> It seems it doesn't like suggested authentication method, and suggests
> it own (MS-CHAP - M$ can...), for which ppp replies with "not
> implemented, nak". Any suggestions? Except setup modem on FreeBSD - it
> is the simplest, but I have to use RAS :-(...
> Peter
Yes, it is possible, I EVEN DID IT WITH A NEWTON MESSAGE PAD!

Your login, assuming you're using WinNT 4.0, should
	wait for "CLIENT"
	send "CLIENTSERVER"

And continue.

Use PAP.

The CLIENT/CLIENTSERVER strings are configurable:

	go to \WinNT\System32\RAS and look at MODEM.INF (I think).
Look for NULL modem and the speed you want to use, and you'll see CLIENT
and CLIENTSERVER strings in the entry.  Change away (I haven't done
this; I was told to do one thing by m$^&*@^soft but THEY WERE WRONG!
The entry he told me to look for wasn't what they said it would be, so
logically I'm assuming that you can use whatever strings you want.

	Actually, not a bad idea since this adds a "little" more security.

	HTH	-- 	Matt
--
Matthew Gessner, Computer Scientist, <mgessner@aristar.com>
Aristar, Inc.