Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 23:22:01 -0700
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

On Mon, 01 May 2000, Jeremiah Gowdy was heard blurting out:

> > I happen to share an office at work with the guy who got flamed and
> > then kick banned on #FreeBSD.
> >
> > Yet another reason why I don't go to #FreeBSD any more.  Its often
> > times distressing how people can instantly turn against you there.
> >
> > :(
>
> Once again, let me spell it out for you guys.  #freebsdhelp
> Did you get that number ?  Lemme share it again.  #freebsdhelp.  Just
> because people are in a freebsd chat channel does not mean they should have
> to endure massive amounts of repetitive questions.  That's why there's a
> help channel.  Get a clue or stop complaining.  There's also
> www.defcon1.org, www.freebsd-howto.org, and www.freebsd.org/handbook
> There's plenty of help out there without abusing the knowlegable people on
> IRC, who want to come on IRC and talk to other knowlegable people without
> being plagued by beginners.  Those who CHOOSE to share their knowlege and
> information with people are in #freebsdhelp.

Let me spell it out to you. I have nothing against #freebsdhelp or
anyone for that matter on #freebsd. The issue I was trying to make is
that it is a public forum and that by it being that can tur a newbie off
quicker than anything.

Shoot look in at this thread that I started, some people have answered
politely and civil where others haven't. For christ sakes this will be
in the search database and probably propagated to other search engines.

I guess what I am getting it is there is a civil way and the wrong way.
I want people to come to FreeBSD from those other OS's but not be turned
away because someone wants to be a smart ass to someone who was
misinformed or just plain new.

Now back to #FreeBSD I go  ;-)