Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:00:01 +0100
From:      "Mick Gallagher" <mickg@mickg.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   set-user-id question

Hi All,

Say I have a shell script, called egscript, say, and the content of the
script is 'touch testfile'.

Now if I run the script (all the execute permissions are set), then lo and
behold, I find the file 'testfile' in the local directory.

If I set the suid permissions, and someone else runs the file, no 'testfile'
appears.

Why is this the case? Does suid only work on binaries? What prevents others
from running this script with my permissions?

Thanks in advance.

Mick Gallagher

---
mickg@mickg.org