Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:33:59 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        root@web-walrus.com (Grandpa Walrus)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding SCSI Hardware

On 15 Jul 2000 23:01:27 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>I looked on the FreeBSD site, and I don't see any information about
>supported SCSI devices.  Is this information contained anywhere on my
>system?

Yes, in the HARDWARE.TXT file. See
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.0-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT

However, as there is a new 4.1 RELEASE out soon, there have been some
changes

adv0    n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     AdvanSys Narrow SCSI controllers
adw0    n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     AdvanSys Wide SCSI controllers
amd0    n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC390(T))
ncr0    n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     NCR PCI SCSI controller
bt0     330     dyn     dyn     dyn     Buslogic SCSI controller
aha0    330     dyn     5       dyn     Adaptec 154x/1535 SCSI controller
ahb0    dyn     dyn     dyn     dyn     Adaptec 174x SCSI controller
ahc0    dyn     dyn     dyn     dyn     Adaptec 274x/284x/294x SCSI
controller
aic0    340     11      dyn     dyn     Adaptec 152x/AIC-6360/AIC-6260 SCSI
                                        controller
isp0    dyn     dyn     dyn     dyn     QLogic 10X0, 1240 Ultra SCSI,
1080/1280
                                        Ultra2 SCSI, 12160 Ultra3 SCSI,
2X00
                                        Fibre Channel SCSI controller
dpt0    dyn     dyn     n/a     n/a     DPT RAID SCSI controllers
amr0    dyn     dyn     n/a     n/a     AMI MegaRAID controllers
mlx0    dyn     dyn     n/a     dyn     Mylex DAC960 RAID controllers

>I'm looking for a simple solution to do hot-swappable SCSI RAID mirroring
>(one drive goes bad, the system stays up, I swap it when I get the chance
>sort of thing) under FreeBSD 3.x or 4.x.

4.x is what you want. 3.x is old now.  A Mylex or MegaRAID controller will
work, provided you have the right enclosure.  See also
http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID for more details

>Does this require a significant amount of hardware?

depends on what your budget is....

>Also, is it possible to have two different sized disks in a RAID array?
>(i.e. I install two 9 GB SCSI disks, and later I can't find any 9 GB disks
>to replace a failed one with...would a 12 GB disk work?)  Do they have to
>be exactly the same RPM?

No. You generally want identical drives.  You might want to browse through
some of the more general FAQs on storage. There is a RAID FAQ as well you
should read that has a lot of background info on the topic of RAID that
applies not just to FreeBSD.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)