Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 11:53:53 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA DMA enabling problem with IBM DAQA on an PIIX3

Hello,
	I'm trying to enable DMA on my HD with FreeBSD 4.3, and it just
doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Here's the dmesg output:
atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 7.1
on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 3098MB <IBM-DAQA-33240> [6296/16/63] at ata0-master PIO4
acd0: CDROM <CD-ROM CDU311> at ata1-master using PIO3

sysctl shows the DMA is turned on, but it doesn't work for some reason:
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 0
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
hw.atamodes: pio,---,pio,---,

According to the spec, the harddrive should support WDMA, and I've seen
post in the archives where someone had this drive doing WDMA2.
According
to the ata manpage, the PIIX3 supports UDMA, so where is the problem?
Do I have to set a magic jumper on the HD itself?

The harddrive shouldn't count as an ATAPI device right?  I doubt the
CD-ROM
supports DMA, but it might be one of the kinds that lies about what it
can
support, so I'm hesitant to enable atapi dma.

Does anybody have any idea what I might have to do to enable DMA on the
harddrive?