Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:33:20 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, pst@FreeBSD.ORG, mpp@FreeBSD.ORG, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fx and Os macros (was: Re: [yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp: .Fx and .Os macros in groff, FreeBSD])

After testing my macros some more, I'm sure they work.  The only reason
to not commit them is because we think it's better to print an empty
string for unknown releases (like 2.2.2 was, before you fixed it, and
of course 3.1 and 4.0).  I think it's a much better failure mode to allow
.Fx 1.2.3.4 to print "FreeBSD 1.2.3.4" than it is to allow ".Fx 4.0"
to print "".

I also made similar changes to the .Nx and .Ox macros, so that we don't
have to track them as closely.  The .Nx macro still needs to be updated
whenever NetBSD creates an "if" in their macro that changes its argument
(e.g.  .Nx 0.8a -> NetBSD 0.8A), but ones that don't (e.g. .Nx 1.4)
will Just Work.

Unless someone Screams Loudly, I'm going to commit this (but leave
the RELENG_3 merge until after the 3.1 release).

  Bill