Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:02:29 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Kalai Kalaiarasi <kalaiarasi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab

> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org

Both those addresses go to the same list.  Please don't do that.

> I have wrote a shell script and trying to run it automatically by
> using crontab... but the shell script doesnt seem to be executed by
> the crontab. Shell script works fine when being executed manually.
> Something wrong with the crontab.... I have edited the crontab file
> as below:
>
>   0 9 * * * /apps/sbldev/script/analysis
>
> But....there shell script is not being executed at the specified
> time (9am)

Did you edit the /var/cron/tabs/whoever file directly, or did you use
the `crontab' command?  If you edit the file directly, you need to
touch /var/cron/tabs before the `cron' daemon will pick up the change.
The `crontab' command takes care of this automatically; see
crontab(1).

BTW, /var/cron/tabs should probably be mode 700 and /var/cron/tabs/*
should be mode 600, all owned by root.wheel, so regular users _have_
to use the `crontab' command to edit.

Lucas