Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:30:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        netmonger@genesis.ispace.com (Drew Baxter)
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Implementing ActiveX

> How do you call this competitive?  They don't give open paperwork for their
> "ActiveX" standard, otherwise I'd imagine someone (Maybe even Netscape)
> would portal it into Netscape products..

Actually, their ActiveX code is heavily specified; there's little
about ActiveX that isn't discussed in the serveral COM and DCOM
books out there, and what isn't discussed there *is* available for
download from their WWW site.

I have to say that I've considered implementing DCOM on FreeBSD
once or twice; it's rather trivial to do, since there is an
existing DCE RPC implementation.

I also have to say that not doing byte swapping on the way in
and on the way out for RPC calls between x86 based boxes is a
very attractive idea, just from the perspective of what it would
do to the NFS performance of FreeBSD to FreeBSD mounts.

I actually believe it would be trivial to implement ActiveX into
Netscape; I really wouldn't want to become dependent on x86 based
code for control implementations, but on the other hand, it's
not like it's rocket science.

>From hacking on both, I have to say that CORBA is conceptually
much more difficult in implementation.

					Terry Lambert