Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:42:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Jeff Yeo <j.yeo@attcanada.net>
Cc:        Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How-to for simple DNS?

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Jeff Yeo wrote:

> Ouch!  I'm still derating my machine based on Microsoft bloat.  This is
> a 486SX/33 with 8MB RAM and 250MB disk.  It would seem I'm not so
> limited after all ...

I run a caching DNS server and a masquerading firewall on a 386DX/40 with
4 megs of RAM -- all these simple services don't take up any processor
power at all.  You could run DNS on a 8086 if you wanted to :)

> Excuse my continuing ignorance, but when nameservers talk, do they
> do so on "fixed" ports?  Just wondering for the ipfw rules and natd.

Check the BIND documentation.  All DNS requests go through port 53, UDP.
You can sepcify a source port in the config file (at least in BIND 8, you
can).