Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:52:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   960627-SNAP - Problem with ATAPI detection

     My configuration: P55TP4XE motherboard with dual-IDE, 2 hard drives on
wdc0, and a Sony CDU-55E ATAPI IDE CDROM on wdc1.

     As with the 2.1.0-RELEASE, my ATAPI CD-ROM isn't detected when I
enable ATAPI on 2.1-960627-SNAP.  Although if I suppress probing for IDE
hard disks on wcd1 using this isa/wd.c patch:

     --- 419,435 ----
                      * Use the individual device flags or the controller
                      * flags.
                      */
                     du->cfg_flags = wdup->id_flags |
                             ((dvp->id_flags) >> (16 * unit));
     + #ifdef RHHOLD
                     if (wdgetctlr(du) == 0) {
     + #else
     +                 /*  RHH - Don't even try to find hard disks on wdc1  */
     +               if ((dvp->id_unit == 0) && (wdgetctlr(du) == 0)) {
     + #endif

then my CD-ROM is detected and works fine (cdplay/mount/etc):

     wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
     wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU55E/1.0u>, removable, accel, dma, iordy

Without this patch, the wd driver gets a "controller busy" which is
detected at the top of atapi.c:atapi_probe (atapi_wait).  It appears that
the hard disk probe might be leaving the controller in an invalid state for
ATAPI probing.

     I'd sure like not to have to hack the kernel to get 2.1.5 to detect my
CD-ROM.  Anything I can try to help debug this?

Thanks,

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com