Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:03:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Josh Thomas <jdt2101@ksu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW rules and outward connections

I am looking to set up a firewall to be closed to all incoming connections
except for 20-22 (for ftp and ssh), and to allow all outward
connections.  However, I'm having trouble specifically keeping the
dynamically assigned ports above 1024 for normal usage open.  ie, http
from other machines, ftp from other machines.  Is there specifically a way
to allow outgoing connections and then keep that port open for incoming
connections for a short time?  This seems to be somewhat the functionality
of keep-state, however that does not appear to work.  If anybody has any
examples, I would appreciate them.  Neither the freebsd handbook nor the
ipfw manpage goes into enough detail as I needed.  Please cc responses, as
I am not on the freebsd-questions list.

Thanks,

Josh Thomas
Student Systems Analyst