Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/36467: ed(4) manual page has skimpy synopsis, etc.

The following reply was made to PR docs/36467; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 02 Apr 2002 12:01:06 -0800

 Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com> writes:

 > Is this really an important change?  I think that LINT describes this
 > driver well, and feel that most people who are compiling their kernel
 > would check the LINT file.  On the other hand, if we did this here,
 > then it would have to be done elsewhere, on other manual pages such as
 > ep(4).
 >
 > That sounds difficult to keep up with, mainly due to device driver
 > changes, manual page consistancy, things like that.  Whats your
 > opinion on this matter Gary?  Everyone else?

 Well, we only have four levels of importance to attach to it, high,
 medium, low, and closed.  I think it deserves "low"; otherwise, a Policy
 should be documented that erroneous Synopsis lines shall be removed from
 and not added to existing manuals if there is an example line in LINT.

 Do this:
     zcat /usr/share/man/man4/* | grep Cd | grep device | less
 and I think you'll see that most of those that should have the extra
 info have it, especially since many of those displayed don't need extra
 info.  But there are probably many that are erroneous.

 But it seems almost trivial to keep up with by comparison to the other
 sections of the Section 4 manuals (though it's clearly not as important).

 The LINT and GENERIC files just have examples; they don't (and IMO
 shouldn't) have explanations; they belong in real documentation.
 Unfortunately, this PR won't help much, but I'll write another PR on
 LINT with a reference to the generic explanations in the appropriate

 IIRC, LINT and GENERIC often omit examples of valid syntaxes, so the
 example for "ed" doesn't tell the user that the manual's "device ed"
 won't work.  Some of the drivers allow both such forms for fixed
 and dynamic configuration.