Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:09:35 +0100
From:      Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating BSD bootable CD

Hi! In a recent thread on freebsd-stable there were a couple of
postings that I copied for you.

Nevermind posted:
I've asked about this before. So that's my howto:

1.  You will need the while cvs repository preferablely on local hard disks.
	You can get it by cvsuping 'cvs-all' target.

2.	cvsup complete src tree to your /usr/src or any other place
you are usually
	place your source tree. (we'll call it $SRCDIR)

3.	You'll need a lot of free space (about 1.6-2Gb)
	Also, create some dir where you want to put release files,
there should be
	about 1Gb free.

4.	cd $SRCDIR/release
	make release CVSROOT=here_your_cvs_repo BUILDNAME="4.2-STABLE" \
	RELEASETAG=RELENG_4 CHROOTDIR=your_dir_where_to_put_release_files

	(maybe I'm missing some flags, but now I have no source tree
to look at.

5.	wait some hours/days depending on your hardware and disk speed :))

6.	when it will finish,
	cd $CHROOTDIR/R/cdrom/disc1
	mkisofs -o ~/FreeBSD-4.2-STABLE-image.iso -J -r -b floppies/boot.flp

7.	burn it on CD using burncd for example.

And Thomas T. Veldhouse posted:
I use ncftp3:

% mkdir freebsd && cd freebsd
% ncftp3 releng4.freebsd.org
ncftp> cd /pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/4.2-20010213-STABLE
ncftp> bin
ncftp> get *.TXT *.inf
ncftp> get -R bin catpages compat1x compat20 compat21 compat22 compat3x
crypto dict
ncftp> get -R doc floppies games info manpages ports proflibs src
ncftp> bye
% cd ..
% mkisofs -r -o freebsd.iso -b floppies/boot.flp -c
floppies/boot.cat -V"4.2-20010213-STABLE" freebsd/

That's it!  Make sure you use the trailing forward slash.

Hope this helps!

Ragnar