Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:48:12 -0500
From:      Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
To:        xiyuan qian <xiyuan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL ISDN ppp how to & IP counting

xiyuan qian wrote:

> Hi, Can someone there do me a favour to tell me
> whether freebsd supporting ADSL or ISDN ppp connecting
> to an ISP? If can , how to ? Just like the
> configuration of tel. line?

ISDN would be handled just like a telephone line configuration, ADSL
usually requires PPOE.  You can find info on setting up FreeBSD with
PPOE here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

> If I can dial my freebsd box to my ISP, all I want to
> do is make this box act like a gateway to let all my
> local net going out. I know I can carry this out with
> ipfilter. But I need to control the inner hosts like
> the following situation: some can do everthing like
> visiting web sites, sending email, ftping files etc,
> some only can sending email. How to control with
> ipfilter? Can the ipfilter log all the outgoing's
> begin and end time?

Yes, you can do all this, here is a helpful url:

http://packetstorm.securify.com/papers/firewall/FreeBSD+ipfilter.howto.htm

--
Chris

|Chris Cook - Admin     |TCWORKS.NET - http://www.tcworks.net |