Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 09:44:57 -0400
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@rci.net>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware and Stuff

Joey Garcia wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> Well, in the newbies list there was a thread covering what people do with
> their FreeBSD systems and on what kind of hardware that their currently
> using with FreeBSD.  Actually, that thread was going on awhile back but
> recently it occured to me that we should all submit what kind of hardware
> we use with FreeBSD.
>
> I mean, we should have a user data base listing the manufacturers and stuff
> of the Hardware that we (as users) have found to work well with FreeBSD.
> So say I have a Toshiba CDrom model number xxyzx that I find to work well
> with FreeBSD, then I would submit that to the "Compatible CDrom Data Base".
>  Of course that can work for motherboards, mice, scanners, add-in cards,
> video cards, printers, USB, or whatever might work with FreeBSD.
>
> I believe that this "database" would be a nice replacement, or enhancement,
> for the current Hardware.txt for the FreeBSD releases.  If I was someone
> thinking of installing FreeBSD and I find that other users have the same
> hardware that I do that have reported to work with FreeBSD, then t would
> make my descion to run FreeBSD alot easier.  Or, if I was someone that
> already runs FreeBSD but decides that I wanted to upgrade my hardware, I
> would easily turn to the Hardware database to see if anyone has good
> reports on the Hardware I might want to upgrade to.
>
> Ya know what I mean?  How does this idea sound?  I just wanted to through
> the idea out there and stuff.

This is a great idea!  It would be really handy for both users and OEMs
to be able to jump to the website, fill in some drop-downs on a web
form, and find out whether the products they have, or are about to get,
are going to work with their operating system.  It would also be useful
if it was tied to some "this is what I had to do to make that work"
info...  Sort of a self-growing hardware how-to for FreeBSD.

-jack