Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:08:45 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA and 1.2meg floppies?

As Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> I'm not sure if Jordan had included this in the "4-meg won't be
> supported" announcement.

Yes, he did.

> Now, the 2.2-BETA boot floppy, boot.flp, will fit - it's 1177088
> bytes long.

That's surprising.  At least at one stage in the game, we ran out of
space on the 1.2 MB floppies, and decided that we don't have the
energy to deal any longer with this.  (It's been a continous hunt for
just a few bytes on the install floppy.)

>  So - I was wondering if we can produce a smaller "fixit.flp".

It's not very difficult to do this.  However, Julian didn't seem to be
very interested in maintaining his floppy build submission that
doesn't require an entire `make release' before, so it's currently a
little orphaned.

I'm not sure whether it will be possible for you to just create a
fixit floppy without building an entire release...  With a little
Makefile tweaking, you should be able however.  It's not much more
than just some `crunchgen' stuff.  Have a look into
/usr/src/release/*.

I could probably put up a fixit image without a vi, but this one will
become outdated fairly soon.

--
cheers, J"org