Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 09:12:05 +0500
From:      pstupp@inforamp.net (Perry A. Stupp)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Loads but will not boot.

Hello,

        Having had no success getting Linux on my machine I decided to try
FreeBSD.  I was encouraged when the installation process allowed me to go
all the way through.  The disk was split and the operating system installed.
        Unfortunately when I went to boot I received the following panic
message "Can't handle 32 heads from partition table (Controller value 16
restored), cannot mount root", and then the system reboots.  I thought
perhaps that it was my pci controller (being 32 bit) and I removed it only
to find the same problem.  I changed the enhanced IDE settings in the bios
to ignore large disks (>540 MB) since this is the appropriate setting for
other unix systems on this machine.
        To make a long story short, here is a list of my equipment, any help
would be greatly appreciated.  I really want to get some type of unix on my
machine so that I can possibly contribute in the near future.

        ACER Pentium 90Mhz, 16MB RAM, PCI
        810MB Conner HD running PCI
        PCI NITRO - Video Card

        BTW, I used a utility that I received with Linux called fips.  This
program allowed me to change the size of my dos partition without having to
fdisk it.  It comes with many warnings but worked fine on my machine.  I did
not see any mention of it in your installation documentation.  Perhaps you
may want to look into it.  I probably saved me a great deal of grief.

Sincerely,

Perry A. Stupp

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!