Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:52:56 -0800
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
To:        Midori Kato <katoon@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Cc:        "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Don Lewis <truckman@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: default ECN settings

--w/VI3ydZO+RcZ3Ux

On 11/05/15 at 06:58P, Midori Kato wrote:
> Hi Macy and Don,
>=20
> I am Midori. Too late to catch up this topic but this topic is interesting
> to me.
> Linux separates inbound and outbound ecn operation while RFC 3168 says th=
at
> making hosts fail during the negotiation without ecn configuration.
>=20
> I think FreeBSD is probably able to distinguish inbound and outbound with
> cc_var flag as well.
> I like to try to work this. If the sender like to use ECN, behaving as ECN
> receiver is good for the TCP connection.
>=20
> Regards,
> -- Midori
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > >
> > > Not that I can think of.  The risk in enabling ECN for outbound
> > > connections is that some connection attempts can fail, especially if =
you
> > > are attempting to connect to some old and oddball device.  That should
> > > not be a risk for inbound connections since those devices won't be
> > > requesting ECN.
> >
> > Even with 'oddball' devices the stack is configured to retry ECN n
> > times where n defaults to 1 and then revert to not requesting ECN
> > support. Thus connections would take longer on 'oddball' devices. The
> > solution that *I* would choose for that would be to track ECN support
> > in the host cache. The first connection to a new host would always try
> > ECN and in the event that that failed all subsequent connection
> > attempts would not try ECN. To me this seems like the most robust
> > compromise. However, I don't yet have enough information to say how
> > much benefit this would confer.

ECN is a good thing to have and I think that we should support
it if an incoming connection requests it. I also like this approach
suggested by Kip for implementation.

> > > Seems like we should be defaulting ECN on for inbound connections,
> > > though we currently can't control the two directions separately.
> >
> > That is a straightforward change.

Just to clarify, with/after this change, the default behavior would be:
enabled on inbound and disabled on outbound. And we should also have a
way to disable ecn completely on both directions.

Cheers,
Hiren

--w/VI3ydZO+RcZ3Ux

--w/VI3ydZO+RcZ3Ux--