Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:07:18 +0000
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing GDBM_File (was: Location of GDBM_File in FreeBSD  3.2_Release)

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 09:18:35 GMT, Richard Morte wrote:
>
> > OK, tried a bit more self-help this morning - but came unglued :(
> >
> > I read up on various documents for installing perl modules. Here's what
> > I did & what I got:
> >
> > $ cd /usr/src/contrib/perl5/ext/GDBM_File
> > $ perl Makefile.PL
> > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lgdbm
> > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldbm
> > Writing Makefile for GDBM_File
> >
> > $make
> > mkdir blib
> > mkdir blib/lib
> > cp GDBM_File.pm blib/lib/GDBM_File.pm
> > Autosplitting ...<snip>
> > ...</snip>
> > GDBM_File.xs:5: gdbm.h: No such file or directory
> > *** Error Code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > $
> >

> > Where to go / what to do next?
> >
> > Ric

> > =========================original message below=========================

> > Richard Morte wrote:
> > >
> > > Just a quickie!
> > >
> > > I want to use GDBM_File in a perl script I'm developing. However I get
> > > the error message "Can't locate GDBM_File.pm in @INC (@INC contains
> > > ...[anything but the path I need].... etc.)
> > >
> > > A search reveals the location of the following file:
> > >   /usr/src/contrib/perl5/ext/GDBM_File/GDBM_File.pm
> > >
> > > Do I simply copy it to a directory on one of the @INC paths, recompile
> something (surely not...) or do something else to set the value of @INC?
> > >
> Thanks you for helping,
> > >

> Ric
> Either you don't have the gdbm port installed or your Makefile.PL
> doesn't know to look for it in /usr/local/ instead of /usr .
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Sheldon, thanks for your reply.

Tried installing the port but the error message when running the perl
script is just the same:
"Can't locate GDBM_File.pm in @INC..."

Here's how I installed the port (edited down):

installed the ports collection from the CDROM (3 of 4)
$ cd /usr/ports/databases/gdbm
$ make
>> attempting to fetch from ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gdbm/.
Receiving ...etc...
===> Extracting ...
===> Patching...
===> Applying FreeBSD patches....
===> Configuring...
===> Building...
<big snip>
$ make install
===> Installing for gdbm-1.7.3
===> gdbm is already installed ...etc...

$ make deinstall
===> Deinstalling ...

$ make reinstall
===> Installing for ...
===> Generating temporary packing list
===> Compressing...
===> Registering installation...

So I guess the installation finally went OK! So why might perl not be
able to locate this module? Clearly it's still not in @INC's path.

Regards,
Ric

ps the ports tree in /usr/ports is slowing down searches on the system.
Can it be trimmed down or uninstalled or just deleted?