Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:51:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), josb@cncdsl.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

>    Look Terry, I went through one of those damn aquisitions... AND a merger,
>    with BEST.  I know you really want to make a mountain out of a molehill
>    but all you are doing here is creating confusion over a non-issue.  It is
>    unnecessary.  There is no problem here and there never was.

I wish you would quit fixating on BEST, since I pointed out that
the license had changed, and the risk only existed for the old
license.

I went through IBMs acquisition of Whistle: a 6 month+ due
dilligence process, which resulted in us getting rid of some
code that we had planned to ship on the next InterJet software
release, due to IBMs belief it was infringing on their patents,
and was distributed under the GPL, which they believed could be
construed as a royalty free license for anyone to use the
patents involved, should they demand source code.

I am only talking about what lawyers view as risk.  Acceptability
of any given risk is a business decision, and one that people
shouldn't be forced into simply by electing to use FreeBSD.

For FreeBSD itself, the biggest risk the lawyers saw was Poul's
"BeerWare" license, FWIW.

The main take aways from this discussion should be that FreeBSD
needs to be careful of the licenses on the code it lets into
its tree (as it _was_ with the Soft Updates code, under the old
license), and that FreeBSD, philosophically, as a group, isn't
going to be easily talked away from that position, if ever.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.