Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 16:54:42 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What is the correct way to name my machine?

My internet access is provided via cable modem and DHCP. The result is a
default machine name that looks like "h123-123-123-123.gv.shawcable.net"
(those "123's" are actually my IP address).

Two questions:

1. I'd like to change the default name to something else so that wherever the
above is used now, the new name would be used instead. What do I update to
make this change?

2. I'd like to create some aliases that may also be used to refer to the
machine. Under Linux, I'd do this once in /etc/hosts and the aliases would
become globally available. Is this true of FreeBSD as well?

Thanks.

M.

--
Michael O'Henly