Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:41:16 +0400
From:      Dmitry Agafonov <aga@rsm.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   About mergemaster (Re: upgrading)

Hi!

I had a lot of different words to say into the air while upgrading :)
I had only 5 FreeBSD boxes, so I can imagine others with 50, 100 or more :(

Most painful procedure for me is running mergemaster. Most of the job of
it can be
done _automatically_, but it does not. Though indeed it already do much.
I cannot see any reason to report me all the differences developers
bring into the
distribution. I can use cvs to do that if I wish, am I right? I see the
problem in the
inability of the mergemaster to detect changed (comparing to the
file and to mark the file "clean".

I'm changing 2-3 system configs, so one can see changed file simply
comparing md5
hash of the original file, say, in the "$MD5: " custom header (not
including that line itself
while calculating hash, or it will be a big trick to produce such file).

How the idea?

--
Dmitry