Date:      29 Oct 2000 21:42:36 -0700
From:      Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt-2.2.1_1 with -gif ?

Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> writes:

> > Any chance of finding such a precompiled package ? I can't view gifs
> > in my just downloaded kde-2.0 konqueror.
>
> Nope, sorry.  Just isn't going to happen, because of their reputation
> for hunting down folks who break their patent.

Instead of just disabling GIF support, can't you just make that the
default with `-gif' as an option in an env variable or make.conf so
that the port maintainer isn't responsible for whether we break the
patent or not?

Otherwise, apps such as konqueror are more or less useless since GIF
is still so widely used.