Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:01:12 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kernel optimizations for an smp mail server...

Hey all,

After using FreeBSD for a few customers colo servers and hearing them
comment on how much they liked it's stability, performance, etc. I've
finally been able to convince the powers that be that FreeBSD
will make a better platform for our mail server.  We got a dual PIII
box with a gig of RAM and a RAID 5 array from Penguin Computing and
the first thing we did was install FreeBSD(yay!)

Now, I've set up plenty of workstations, a few firewalls and web
servers, but never an mail server.  We have a fairly small user base,
only about 10,000 users.  Can anyone suggest some kernal and/or system
optimizations I should make?  I'm sure the main one would be maxusers,
but other than kern.maxproc I'm not sure what else that affects.
Would MAXUSERS = 256 be appropriate?  Anything else I need to tweak?
Thanks.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                     Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

        - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.