Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:27:57 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Deepak Jain <deepak@ai.net>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fastforwarding?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:32:50PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
> > The description there isn't very forthcoming.  fastforwarding caches
> > the results of a route lookup for destination addresses that are not
> > on the local machine, and uses the cached route to short-circuit the
> > normal (relatively slow) route lookup process.  The packet flows
> > directly from one layer2 input routine directly to the opposing
> > layer2 output routine without traversing the IP layer.
>
> And more importantly, without traversing ipfw or ipfilter.  In other
> words, don't use this on a firewall.

Doesn't this match exactly what's documented in the inet(4) manpage?

: IPCTL_FASTFORWARDING  (ip.fastforwarding) Boolean: enable/disable the use
:                       of fast IP forwarding code.  Defaults to off.  When
:                       fast forwarding is enabled, IP packets are for-
:                       warded directly to the appropriate network inter-
:                       face with a minimal validity checking, which
:                       greatly improves the throughput.  On the other
:                       hand, they bypass the standard procedures, such as
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:                       IP option processing and ipfirewall(4) checking.
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
:                       It is not guaranteed that every packet will be
:                       fast-forwarded.

BTW, Wes, I'm still waiting for a working example of an indirect route
with also indirect gateway.  All I can get myself here with such a
route is:

arplookup 5.6.7.8 failed: host is not on local network
arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 5.6.7.8rt

where 5.6.7.8 is that indirect gateway.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,