Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:41:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        hal@vailsys.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: Netbios (Samba) routing across TCP/IP]

> > > Has any work been done or is anybody currently doing work
> > > on software that will let FreeBsd and/or Samba route netbios
> > > between LAN's or across the internet.
>
> NetBIOS is an API designed for the PC.  Implementations exist for
> various protocols, including TCP/IP, IPX, and NetBEUI.  NBT (NetBIOS
> over TCP, RFC's 1001/1002) comes standard with Win95 and NT.
>
> > There is no extra work required. It works as long as you can make the
> > TCP/IP hosts known to the participating machines. Make to host known
> > to your DNS server and enter the name in LMHOSTS or HOSTS (?).
>
> Or run a WINS server on the Internet, assuming you're not behind a
> firewall that blocks TCP and UDP port 137.  I think there are public
> WINS servers on the Internet as well, not sure how they do
> registration.  One site is at winserve.com.

I believe samba comes with something called "nmbd" that you can run
as a daemon (or under inetd) that acts like a wins server.  At least
I think it does that.  I am running it now, and I did not get my
pc's to recognize the samba server until I set it up as a daemon.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088