Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:19:32 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Kalai Kalaiarasi <kalaiarasi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab

> > > I have wrote a shell script and trying to run it automatically
> > > by using crontab... but the shell script doesnt seem to be
> > > executed by the crontab. Shell script works fine when being
> > > executed manually.  Something wrong with the crontab.... I have
> > > edited the crontab file as below:
> > >
> > >   0 9 * * * /apps/sbldev/script/analysis
> > >
> > > But....there shell script is not being executed at the specified
> > > time (9am)
> >
> > Did you edit the /var/cron/tabs/whoever file directly, or did you
> > use the `crontab' command?  If you edit the file directly, you
> > need to touch /var/cron/tabs before the `cron' daemon will pick up
> > the change.
>
> I used the crontab command 'crontab -e' to edit.

Good.  You can check /var/log/cron to see if cron is running your
script at all (I imagine it is, since your crontab looks fine).

If your script shows up in the log, and you're still not getting the
output you expect, see what happens if you put

  0 9 * * * /apps/sbldev/script/analysis >$HOME/analysis.out 2>&1

in your crontab.  This way, if cron is running your script at all, it
will create a file ~/analysis.out, and it will (hopefully) contain
some useful error messages.

Lucas