Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:38:36 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        sAndri Kok <freebsd_list@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports question

Dear Andri Kok,

Please put your reply to the buttom and cut out text thats no longer
relevant. This makes the mail more readable for others.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 04:23:52PM +1000, sAndri Kok wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Thx for he previous replies =) Now, u said that I may not be able to run
> some new applications on old FreeSD releases (in this case 4.8), does cvsup

No cvsup doesn't know that. Its posible that the port it self knows if
its upgradable or not. But also this is not garanteed.

> know how to handle which ports are "upgradeable" and which are not?
> I assuming from the replies that I had that since all ports are the
> same if they are upadated at the same time and

That is correct.

> I read in the mailing list the other
> day that Gnome2.6 wouldn't be able to run properly on 4.8 machines. Any
> pointes? Thx again =)

In that case you migth want to try to download the package instead of
the port from the ftp server (ftp.freebsd.org).

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/