Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:42:59 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Prashanth Mylvarabatla <mylvarab@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fvwmrc

On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 03:44:57AM -0600, Prashanth Mylvarabatla wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I recently installed freebsd  and I have the fvwm windows manager.
> The display is not accurate(say the xterm dosent appear to be in a
> perfect rectangular shape, same case if I open any editor),I dont
> know where to configure this ??
>
> 1. Do I have have to specify my monitor  type in .fvwmrc ?

No.

You don't say what exactly is wrong, but this sounds like some kind
monitor geometry problem.  There are a number of possibilities.

First, try to adjust your monitor.  This will only work if your
geometry problems are small.

If you can't solve it by adjusting the monitor, there is a good chance
that you are running the monitor out of spec.  It still displays, but
it can't maintain the geometry.  If this is the case, there is also a
good chance of burning out the monitor by running it like this.
Modify the /etc/XF86Config file to suit your monitor.  Typically, the
value you need to change is the HorizSync value.  Here's a typical
entry:

    # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
    # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    HorizSync   30-45

Where do you get the correct values from?  Ah, there's the rub.  The
correct answer *should* be "from the monitor manual".  If you can find
one there, use it (the important value is the upper value, 45 in this
example.  X doesn't go below 31.5 kHz, and all PC monitors support
that).  If you can't find a frequency spec, check
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Monitors, which lists every monitor except
yours (or so it seems).  If you still can't find anything, send me a
reply with what information you *can* get about the monitor.

Greg