Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:14:32 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Daniel Stehm <daniel.stehm@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: woohoo! FreeBSD here I come... with a question or 2

Daniel Stehm (daniel.stehm@verizon.net) wrote:

> BSD? 2) This weekend, I am deleting my Windows and Linux partition, and BSD
> is going on the whooole hard drive.. all 8.4gigs :) lol. Just wondering if
> there is anything anyone suggests before I take my step into a non-windows
> person :) Thanks mucho for everyones continuous assistance with my many
> questions.

It took me about 6 months to be as productive in a FreeBSD desktop
environment as in a Windows NT environment. That's probably because
I never really went 'cold turkey' -- my Windows NT machine has
always been a few keystrokes away on the KVM. But now, Windows
seems completely claustrophobic, and with the exception of a few
proprietary software packages, I don't use it much.  Now I far
prefer working on a 266mhz AMD K5 circa 1997 running FreeBSD,
XFree86, Afterstep, Vim, Mutt and Mozilla to working on a 550mhz
PIII running NT. (Okay, my FreeBSD box is due for an upgrade...)

The advantages of completely free software and a completely free
operating system are tremendous, especially if you run a business, or if
you have ethical or legal concerns about software piracy.

If you've never used a UNIX-like environment, you'll have a lot of
reading ahead of you (the on-line Handbook is essential... also
"UNIX Power Tools", "TCP/IP Network Administration" and "Essential
System Administration" from O'Reilly are good books to get your
feet wet). But you will learn a tremendous amount about computing
and operating systems in general.

And you may never go back. Congratulations on your very wise choice.

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105