Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 1995 21:46:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Kernel config for tape drive

Hi:

I can't find this in the FAQ. I am running 1.1, and want to add a
floppy based tape drive to my system. I have been given an old tape
drive, an APTEC (Alloy Peripheral Technology) APT-40 model 500, made
in 1987. I have no docs, but think it's QIC-40 compatible. As an aside
to this post, any info on the tape drive would be appreciated.

I added a line to my config file:    tape    ft0   drive 2
as indicated in the 1.1 version of the FAQ, recompiled the kernel,
and after installation, the tape drive is inaccessible. The best I
have found is "Operation not supported by device" when trying various
methods to copy to or read from the drive.

I have done a MAKEDEV for ft0, this creates device ft0, ft0a, rft0,
and rft0a, and all attempts to access these devices (i.e. special
files) results in error.

I think that there may be something else I have to do that I'm not
aware of.

I've tried ft, ftinfo, tar, etc, all with no luck when directed at
the drive.

One possibility I am currently re-building to test, is that I have only
a single floppy drive on the machine, hence a drive 0, but no drive
1, on the controller. I guessed that possibly the probe stops when it
finds no drive 1, and hence does not get to the specified tape as
drive 2.

I am rebuilding a kernel with fd1, i.e. drive 1, commented out, and
tape ft0 indicated as drive 1, to test this possibility.

Any help would be appreciated. Please don't tell me to upgrade to
2.0, as I want to wait for at least 2.1 to arrive and stabilize
before doing that upgrade.

Thanks,

Kevin

--