Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:27:55 -0500
From:      "Mark Radabaugh - Amplex" <mark@amplex.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: forwarding surfers..

> if a server has PHP enabled it can just check the addr of the person
> connecting and do an include based on what it sees.  Much easier than
> fadigling routers

You assume that you normally are routing all traffic through the Apache
box - we do not normally do that.  A unsuspended dialup customer gets a
regular IP address and is directly on the Internet.  Suspended customers
get a 192.168.0.0/24 IP address - we want all of that traffic directed
by the router to the Apache machine so that no matter what web site they
request in the browser they are sent to the 'suspended' page.

If you don't redirect the traffic at the router how are you going to get
the packets from a dialup customer on a terminal server to the Apache
box?

Once you get the packets to the Apache box you still need to get it to
accept the traffic rather than bouncing it back out to the router -
that's what the IPFW stuff is for.

There are lot's of ways that Apache can determine the calling IP
address - the problem is getting the packets to Apache in the first
place.

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex
(419) 833-3635