Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:48:05 -0700
From:      Steve <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "'vallo@matti.ee'" <vallo@matti.ee>, Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail, dialup connection, multiple users.

I think I've finally solved my problem. I'm posting it now so the
solution gets into the archives.

I got around the "sendmail.cf" business by installing Postfix, which
is pretty much a drop-in replacement except for the human-readable
config files (yay!).

From there, "man 5 canonical" and sample-canonical.cf gave me what I
needed to do the address rewriting stuff. This solved the "Sender
domain must exist" problems.

Some mail systems, including hub.freebsd.org, continued to refuse mail
saying "<grok.localnet>: Host not found". I solved this by setting
postfix to use my ISP's mail server as a relay.

The result: Other systems accept connections from my ISP's mail server
because it has a real domain name, and they accept my emails because
postfix rewrites "sender" to my real address.

I think. If you know what to look for, please take a peek at my mail
headers. If it's getting through to freebsd-questions, though, it's an
improvement. :)

In my search for a solution I saw many posts archived on the web from
people with similar problems, but with no answers. So I'll post
step-by-step instructions here:

1- Install Postfix. Using the FreeBSD ports collection this is easy:
   cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix && make && make install && make clean
   Next reboot it warned about missing directories, but created them
   and continued on it's way.

2- Add these lines to /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf:
   sender_canonical_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
   relayhost = mail.myserviceprovider.com

3- Add lines like this to /usr/local/etc/postfix/sender_canonical:
   jane jdoe@janesaddress.com

4- postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/sender_canonical && postfix reload

5- Test it out. Mail an address that has strict sanity checking, which
   you couldn't mail before (eg. majordomo@freebsd.org).

HTH. :)