Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:25:19 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netscape: Linux a top priority (news.com article)

Greg Lehey wrote:
[snip-snip-snip]
>   The Linux phenomenon is all the more astounding because it's not
>   alone.  It's just the best-known of a number of free operating
>   systems for PCs, including three genuine UNIX derivatives (FreeBSD,
>   NetBSD and OpenBSD) and the GNU hurd.  Each has its claims to fame.

GNU 'hurd' OS kernel, perhaps. It'd need some explanation what a
misspelled herd of african whatevers are doing in with computers. ;)

>   Linux was able to overtake the UNIX derivatives due to litigation by
>   the owners of UNIX against the BSD development teams in the time
>   frame 1992-1994.

I really like the tone of this, Greg. I think it's great to say 'FreeBSD
rules!' but 'xyz sucks' demeans all of us, though I've gotta admit
Micros**t has an awful fat target I can't resist :)

I know it's only a trickle in terms of real users, but there's a steady
stream of lead commentators in such as InfoWorld, Network World, and
other mags that are beginning to _equate_ -- if not actively plug --
freeware relative to commercial crap, and the Wall Street Journal has
now plugged both Linux and Apache seriously.

If we in IT and those in Academia stand tall and make our logic and our
preferences and our experience known, Stallman's credo may yet become
true, that software should be free and only understanding costs. I
realize the other side has lots of our money to play with, but it seems
to me that they're quite good at shooting themselves in the feet,
witness Microsoft's press buyout plan on the front page of the LA Times
today, witness Novell's self-destruction, etc., etc., etc.

My personal feeling is that our most important target in the press has
got to be proprietary 'standards', like the so-called MS Word6 format or
the old IPX protocol, or now, the Intel I2O device bus API. It's been
amply demonstrated that freeware can compete with and often outshine
commercially funded software, especially when stuff from multiple
sources has got to work together. Where we get shot down is the old
proprietary bugaboo, but now that M$ is changing the so-called Word 6
every year and even the RTF, there is a window to make it clear to our
bosses that Bill Gates will not bring them bacon. Rather he sucks it all
up. <plug>Hmmm... sounds like the government! Vote Libertarian!</plug>

				Don