Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Steven Yang <syang@directhit.com>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Can't get rid of my mbufs.

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > SUre, the FastCGI stuff is probably doing something more complex than
> > static files and it does double the total transfered (from fastcgi to the
> > server, from the server to the client), but still...
>
> Hmm, I wasn't aware that the fastcgi reference implied a second server.
> How does it communicate with the server proper?  INET domain
> connection(s)?  Local domain connections?  Named pipes?  Shared memory?

TCP connection.  Well, ok, I guess that isn't true.  It can use a pipe and
probably would for local connections.  OTOH, I have no idea what version
is being used or how it is configured, and I'm no FastCGI expert anyway.

> It sounds like there might be room there for many mbufs to be
> legitimately consumed, effectively leaked by the application
> interaction.

Possibly.

I would recommend simplifying the test case to just Apache serving a 20k
static file and see if that changes things.

And, of course, the netstat -n output that dg asked for to see if there is
anything legit.  If it hasn't been tried already, killing all the Apache
and fastcgi processes and anything related and seeing if use drops down
would be another possible idea.