Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 22:10:43 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

> I have two religions, FreeBSD, and my work.  I must say my faith is being
> tested by all of this.  What is causing your myopia?  What is so difficult
> to understand that a channel bearing the project's name has an impact on
> public perception of the project?  That is, after all, part of advocacy, is
> it not?  The type of behavior you're condoning is one of the most
> compelling reasons I will not use Linux or recommend Linux to new users I
> meet (save for Debian, I've found the people on #debian on irc.debian.org
> to be very friendly).

FWIW: I've never seen this sort of attitude in the linux world.  Sure,
there are the flamers on Slashdot and so on, but they are mostly kids
who have no clue and have never actually contributed to linux in the
first place.  And even they don't often flame "clueless newbies", only
windows lovers and people like that.  The big difference here is that
some of the most obnoxious-sounding people on this thread are listed
as core members, developers and so on.  Hearing such opinions from JKH
is like hearing them from Linus Torvalds or Alan Cox, not from some
anonymous troller.  The knowledgeable Linux people never try to
alienate the user community in this way.

Which is exactly why the whole topic *does* belong on advocacy.  Much
of the linux users' loyalty to their system is because of the pleasant
experience they get from the "community".  Whereas a lurker on this
list reading this thread would come away with a very bad impression.

R.