Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:04:55 -0600
From:      Robert Lipe <robertl@sco.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UDI environment now released.

I'd mentioned a few times on this list that I had tinkered with a port
of UDI, the Uniform Driver Interface, to a FreeBSD environment while
waiting for our lawyers to get their acts together[1].  Well, I got the
final clearance and the code was released today at:

	http://projectudi.sourceforge.net

The FreeBSD environment isn't included in the release yet, but from here
it's merely an editor exercise to release that pile of bits.  The common
code is all there and I think there are only two or three mods to common
code required for the FreeBSD port.  I hope to get it checked into the
udiref tree this week.

I'm not a FreeBSD jock, so I focused on getting the "UDI parts"
under control more than taking advantage of FreeBSD services.  It
works well enough now that the remaining pieces could probably be
developed independently.  For example, a SCSI mapper could probably be
stamped out by someone that knows the FreeBSD storage system and is
comfortable reading the Linux, UnixWare, or OpenServer SCSI mappers and
understanding only a very small amount of UDI.  Similarly, someone that
understands the FreeBSD DMA system could grow the DMA implementation in
relative isolation.

I have it hobbling along well enough that a network driver running in
isolation (not talking to the network stack) will bind, deliver/service
interrupts, and do DMA long enough to deplete VM becuase of the leak
in contigmalloc.  (Yes, yes, I know this is still evil...)  There are
a couple of Really Horrible things I did to get the FreeBSD stuff up
rapidly, but I'd like to work with interested parties to get it going
well.

I'm a little torn between just checking in what I have now (including
horrible 4.1.1 newbus bus enumeration hack and special cases for a
specific PCI ID that I was testing) en-masse or dribbling it in as I
clean it up.  I'm leaning toward the former, but a strong partner could
change my position to the latter.

RJL

[1] Try getting a dozen lawyers from some of the largest computer
companies you can name to agree on anything...